Our Baby Class

Friday, May 15, 2015

Flats and Handwashing Challenge Day 5: Wash Routine



Wash routine is the biggest part of the challenge for me this week. I've used flats before, although never full time, and I like them.  But hand washing diapers? It wasn't something I'd ever done before.
Luckily, Kimberly Rosas at Dirty Diaper Laundry, who started the challenge, did a great video on creating and using a camp washer.  I followed her directions and worked on finding a wash routine that worked for me.  She also inspired me to make my first ever (edited) video.




In case you are currently nursing or otherwise unable to watch a video, here's the rundown. 

1) I soak my diapers throughout the day, in a bucket with a firmly attached lid.  To save water, I use the leftover rinse water from the night before.  This is the old school way of dealing with dirty diapers.  (The rest of the time, I use a dry pail lined with a wet bag).  Before putting the diapers in the pail, I give them a quick rinse (even the ones with just pee).  
2) Agitate the rinse water for a couple of minutes. 
3) Drain out the water as completely as possible. 
4) Add hot water and about a tablespoon of castile soap. Use enough water to make a "soup." 
5) Use the plunger to agitate for another 5-10 minutes.  I find that I went back and forth on using the lid.  6) Pour off the dirty wash water. 
7) Use cold water to rinse the diapers, both in the bucket and with running water for each diaper. 
8) Wring and hang to dry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment